Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Haircuts

I don't pay a lot for haircuts.  It's one of the perks of being a guy.  I don't have to schedule them, I don't have to pay a lot.  I'm probably never more than half an hour away from a Great Clips.  I have a lot of haircut freedom.  It's nice.

Recently my girlfriend tried to convince me that at least once in my life I should pay a fair amount of money and get a NICE haircut.  Wouldn't I like to have someone shampoo my hair, and rub my scalp and pay attention to me for a long time?  No, that sounds horrible.  I want my simple, cheap haircut.

I don't know what I would be paying for if I got a more expensive haircut, because I like my hair fine after I get my haircuts now.  What I want most from any given haircut is for my hair to be shorter than it was, and to not look like some kind of freak.  Very simple expectations.

It's also very hard to quantify what a "bad haircut" looks like.  Barring complete lopsidedness, or a missing patch it's hard to distinguish a bad haircut from a haircut that someone doesn't like.

That's why I can't believe that I rarely leave a haircut with my sideburns anywhere close to straight.  It's one of the very few things that a haircutter can absolutely do wrong.  There's no way that I somehow failed to communicate my desire for straight, even sideburns.  And it's not like they even try, and fail.  Often times they're slanted in different directions.

And it's not a huge deal, because it's something I just fix myself after every visit.  I go home, take the clippers out, buzz buzz, and then take a shower to make sure to get rid of all of the little hairs that end up in your collar and make you itch all day.

In closing, if there is something in your line of work that distinguishes between crappy and average, and that thing is really easy to do, then you should probably do it.  Because $12 isn't too little to pay to get matching freaking sideburns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home