Saturday, July 15, 2006

Defining the Relationship

Since I've started to enjoy this stupid thing, and I know of two other people who do as well, I figured I'd take a little time to clarify this blog's purpose.

I titled it Jellytown, mostly because that's a silly name that makes me laugh. Also, I have a lot of friends in New York City with whom a blog like this forms what is unfortunately one of the few means of regular interaction (albeit interaction that is really silly). My defining characteristic from the years I spent in NYC with those friends was my propensity to consume significant amounts of jelly, straight from the jar. Thus, it seemed that Jellytown was an appropriate name for my little internet locale.

What I want to do with this blog is to entertain. It's going to be a lot like my old T.J. Monkey's thoughts (see the link to the right), although a little bit more freely structured. I plan on "shooting from the hip" a little bit more than I did with a lot of that writing, especially the later thoughts. So, as we've seen, it's gonna be a lot of my dumb thoughts about what I would do if I was in a band, or my adventures with mold.

It's not gonna be very biographical. I'm looking at this more as "writing exercise" than "online therapy". If I'm in a bad mood, I will not be taking the train to Jellytown. (Although I may drown my sorrows in a nice jar of Smuckers Strawberry Preserves, which, I suppose, could very appropriately be euphemistically referred to as "taking the train to jelly town.") This isn't to say that I don't enjoy your blog that deals mostly about how you've started taking up Brazilian Jujitsu. In that particular instance, I really do enjoy your blog. It's great and fascinating. But that's not this blog.

I have lots of artistic friends who seem to write very deep but very vague things in their blogs. Things like "today I realized that the most important thing you could ever say is "can I get a refill?" I don't doubt my ability to be vague, but I'm not very deep. So, if you don't understand something, please tell me. It means that I screwed up. Again, this is not to say that I don't like those vague and alluringinly deep blogs. But that's not this blog.

Finally, with the advance of youtube and other sites, there are a lot of blogs that do a lot of linking to other interesting stuff on the internet. Also, good bloggers will go the effort of turning words into hyperlinks like this. I probably won't. The reason for that is that I'm lazy, but more specifically, I'm lazy in different ways than a lot of other people. I honestly just don't want to go to the effort of doing the really simple work of linking to other things. I consider it to be over and above the call of duty when I do things like italicize (see the last sentence. I think it really added a necessary punch). But on the other hand, it's also kinda lazy to use your blog simply as a means of pointing to other interesting stuff. I'm more than willing to go through the work to create fully original entries with every post. (Truly creative entries like this one, where I talk about my blog on my blog. It's almost dangerously creative. I hope my aforementioned artistic friends are reading this...) So, this blog is just basically gonna be a lot of writing. Is that more interesting than Spider Solitaire? I leave that to you. Again, to those of you good citizens who work to promote the latest viral video or flash game involving peeing, I'm not trying to condemn your work. I enjoy those blogs a lot. But that's not this blog.

Finally, a lot of blogs are just sad attempts by people who think they are funny to pathetically wring out a little more of their friends' attention, mostly by taking advantage of the desperate boredom that many of them face at their jobs. Well, that is this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home